Get my latest blog post direct to your inbox every week!


01908 774323



Private Residence Relief And Eligible Periods Of Absence

Have you been away for an extended period?


Posted by Helen Beaumont on 11/08/2021 @ 8:00AM

Many homeowners pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of their property, but if it has been your main or only residence at some point, you can claim Private Residence Relief ...

Private Residence Relief helps you to pay less Capital Gains Tax on your property sale!

Private Residence Relief helps you to pay less Capital Gains Tax on your property sale!

copyright: asiastock / 123rf

However, Private Residence Relief (PRR) can only be claimed on the actual time you were living in residence (in addition to the last 9 months) as this is called deemed occupation though other periods of absence can be claimed for.

These instances include:

  • If you're abroad for employment (for an unlimited period)

  • You are working elsewhere in the UK (up to four years)

  • Or you are absent for any reason (for a maximum of three years)

Deemed occupation also includes your spouse for the first two reasons and multiple periods of occupancy can be linked together. However, do remember that you must live in the property full-time and as your main residence for it to be deemed occupation. If not, then only points one and two above can apply.

"PRR is also available if you've just bought a house and can't move in straight away!"

This is useful to bear in mind when you need to do renovations or decoration before you can occupy it. This can be included under the Extra Statutory Concession D49 as long as this absence is less than 12 months. This can be extended up to two years with the blessing of HMRC as long as there is a good reason outside of your control.

Until next time ...



Would you like to know more?

If anything I've written in this blog post resonates with you and you'd like to discover more, it may be a great idea to give me a call on 01908 774323 and let's see how I can help you.

Share the blog love ...

Google AMP  /  Précis  

Share this to FacebookShare this to TwitterShare this to LinkedInShare this to PinterestShare this via Buffer

#PRR #PrivateResidenceRelief #TaxSpecialist #TaxAdvisor #MiltonKeynes #UK

About Helen Beaumont ...


Helen brings the personal tax planning experience of the top 20 tax companies to Essendon. Formerly of MacIntyre Hudson (with 45 offices nationwide), Helen worked at Chancery for more than 10 years before joining Essendon as the personal tax specialist.

Tax Planning can make a considerable difference to your tax liability. Helen has specialist knowledge and experience in tax planning and uses every opportunity to minimise your tax bill is utilised. By analysing your investments, income, profit and expenditures, Helen will provide strategic tax planning expertise that could offer significant savings, whilst delivering clear, honest advice and guidance.

When Helen is not at Essendon she spends time with her young son and likes going on long walks with the family dog.