Get my latest blog post direct to your inbox every week!


01908 774323



ATED: Annual Tax On Enveloped Dwellings Deadline

It's fast approaching ...


Posted by Helen Beaumont on 20/03/2024 @ 8:00AM

Are you due to submit your Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) return soon? ATED is a pre-emptive tax which means you may need to file a return even if you have no tax to pay. Returns are due by the 30th of April each year ...

If some or all of your property could be used as a residence, then it falls under ATED!

If some or all of your property could be used as a residence, then it falls under ATED!

copyright: jirsak / 123rf

If you own UK residential property valued above £500,000 on the 1st of April 2023 (or the date of acquisition if later) then ATED is payable for both UK and non-UK companies. This also applies if a property is owned by a partnership or a collective investment scheme such as a unit trust or investment company.

If your property is a dwelling and some or all of it could be used as a residence, then it falls under the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings. Non-residential properties, hotels, B&Bs, boarding schools, hospitals, student halls of residence, military accommodation, care homes and prisons are not included under ATED.

The 2024/25 rates have been announced. The increase in the charge is linked to the consumer price index the rates for 2024/25 were announced in the Autumn 2023 Budget.

However, HMRC does levy penalties for non-compliance. Initially, this is £100 if you do not submit your ATED return in time, with £10 daily penalties when the return is more than 3 months overdue. If it gets to 6 months late, a further penalty is applied at £300, or 5% of HMRC's own estimate of your liability ... so it's a great idea to get your return in on time.

There are some reliefs available, but you still need to submit your return, then you claim the relief on the return:

  • Property Rental businesses

  • Properties opened to the public

  • Property developers and traders

  • Financial institutions acquiring properties in the course of lending

  • The occupation of employees or partners

  • Farmhouses

  • Providers of social housing

Other exemptions are available for residential property owned by charities, which are held for charitable purposes. The same goes for properties held by public bodies, and those properties are conditionally exempt from Inheritance Tax.

Until next time ...



Would you like to know more?

If anything I've written in this blog post resonates with you and you'd like to discover more, it may be a great idea to give me a call on 01908 774323 and let's see how I can help you.

Share the blog love ...

Google AMP  /  Précis  

Share this to FacebookShare this to TwitterShare this to LinkedInShare this to PinterestShare this via Buffer

#ATED #AnnualTaxOnEnvelopedDwellings #SME #Tax #MiltonKeynes #UK

About Helen Beaumont ...


Helen brings the personal tax planning experience of the top 20 tax companies to Essendon. Formerly of MacIntyre Hudson (with 45 offices nationwide), Helen worked at Chancery for more than 10 years before joining Essendon as the personal tax specialist.

Tax Planning can make a considerable difference to your tax liability. Helen has specialist knowledge and experience in tax planning and uses every opportunity to minimise your tax bill is utilised. By analysing your investments, income, profit and expenditures, Helen will provide strategic tax planning expertise that could offer significant savings, whilst delivering clear, honest advice and guidance.

When Helen is not at Essendon she spends time with her young son and likes going on long walks with the family dog.