Get my latest blog post direct to your inbox every Friday!


01908 774323



Pre-Letting Expenditure: What Can you Claim?

It's easy to fall into the capital expenditure trap ...



When a landlord purchases a new property to let out, they'll spend money on getting it up to a standard to maximize the rental income. But what pre-letting expenditure is allowed?

What pre-letting expenditure can you claim against rental income?

What pre-letting expenditure can you claim against rental income?

copyright: kurhan / 123rf stock photo (licensee)

The worry is always that HMRC will say that any improvements are capital expenditure and cannot be claimed against rental income. In reality, there is very little that is disallowed if you think in the long-term.

"Even bringing an HMO up to standard could be classed as capital expenditure!"

So, improving a property in any way, maybe because you want a better class of tenant, would be a capital expenditure and could not be claimed for against rental income.

Replacing like-for-like can be:

  • A complete rewiring of the property as the existing system does not comply with current standards

  • Replacing old fire-extinguishers and smoke alarms

  • A new bathroom as the old one is tired

  • A new kitchen as the old one has been damaged or is well used

But even this comes with caveats!

Even the smallest things could be classed as an improvement rather than a replacement. Extra storage in the kitchen, new power points in the bedrooms and additional smoke alarms throughout the property. HMRC could have issues with them all.

Remember, if you make improvements to the property, however small, then HMRC may class it as capital expenditure, and you cannot get tax relief until the property is sold.

"Would you like to know more?"

If you'd like to find out more about pre-letting expenditure and what would and wouldn't be allowed, then do give me a call on 01908 774323 or click here to ping me an email and let's see how I can help you.

Until next time ...



If you're looking to work with an expert tax advisor with a wide range of tax experience, do visit to find out more about me and discover how I can help!

Share the blog love ...

Précis (3)

Share this to Google+Share this to FacebookShare this to TwitterShare this via BufferShare this to LinkedInShare this to Pinterest

More about Helen Beaumont ...

Helen brings the personal tax planning experience of the top 20 tax companies to Essendon. Formerly of MacIntyre Hudson (with 45 offices nationwide), Helen worked at Chancery for more than 10 years before joining Essendon as the personal tax specialist.

Tax Planning can make a considerable difference to your tax liability. Helen’s specialist knowledge in tax planning and experience ensures every opportunity to minimise your tax bill is utilised. By analysing your investments, income, profit and expenditures, Helen will provide strategic tax planning expertise that could offer significant savings, whilst delivering clear, honest advice and guidance.

When Helen is not at Essendon she spends time with her young son and likes going on long walks with the family dog.

More blog posts for you to enjoy ...

Jointly Owned Property And The Use Of HMRC Form 17
Income Tax vs Capital Gains Tax ...

More Tax Changes Affecting Buy-To-Let Landlords
About the new cash accounting rules ...

Inheritance Tax: Can You Gift Your Home To Your Children
And continue to live there?

UK Register of Beneficial Owners of Overseas Entities
by non-UK companies and other legal entities ...

Wealth Preservation Using Family Investment Companies
Is one the right structure for you?

How Should You Own Your Business Premises?
There are various tax implications ...

Changes To Annual Tax On Enveloped Dwellings For 2018
Do you own residential property in a company?

Thinking Of Acquiring An Investment Property?
Should you do it personally or via a limited company?